Thursday, September 25, 2008

Part I: Help is here! Selling your home in a down market…

Challenges in life can be our best teachers!
by Marie Dwyer-Bullock, Lake Chapala Mexico
www.focusonmexico.com

Shortly after I bought my real estate company in Fort McMurray, Alberta, the Alberta government reversed a decision to allow another oil sands plant that was destined to create a boom in the area. So with the announcement to cancel, came a big downturn in the local market.

Having just signed a five year rental lease on the building and a five year lease on all the office furnishings and equipment, I was devastated. It was sink or swim. Having no choice can be a big motivator. In the first six months sales weren’t slow, they were non existent. Not one property sold in six months. I realized I had to become very creative and proactive. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. I decided to stop panicking and look for solutions. Once I changed my focus and asked better questions, slowly but surely things started to turn.

In the last few months here on the lakeside watching the economic slowdown north of the border, it occurred to me that I could dust off those creative ideas and help our Focus clients who are looking to move to the lakeside and start their new lives, but want or need to sell their home back there in order to buy here. Although there is no magic wand in sales, there are some fundamental principles to consider and creative visualizations that can help manifest a sale.

Read Blog - "Part II and Part III"
I share excerpts from emails back and forth with one of our Focus Alumni clients who just can’t wait to make the move to Lake Chapala. Her initial frustrations with not being able to sell back there were sending mixed signals and a blockage to a successful sale.

I helped her look at things from a different perspective and she instantly understood and became pro-active to help herself. In hopes that these ideas might help other people and with my client’s permission, we have chosen to share them with you in Part II and Part III of this Blog.

No comments: